Us recruiters are a unique species. Love us or hate us, we’re here to help you find the right job and continue up that career ladder. Which is, you know, important.
As with most professions, there are good recruiters and bad ones. I like to think of myself as one of the good guys. I stick to my guns and meet every candidate I want to work with. This is crucial for me to do my job well for both the candidate and client.
I want to understand you, get to know you, understand what makes you tick, what you’re looking for and what cultures would work for you (or what might make you run a mile). You just can’t do this over the phone or email.
Here are a few tips:
- See the meeting as a showcase of YOU. Arrive excited about the meeting, ready to talk about you and what you’re looking for. It’s not just about what clients are looking for. We want to make sure we get the match right from both sides. Get us on side early and we can do the rest.
- Personality is key, so always be yourself. It’s just as important as meeting the skills and experience requirements.
- Eye contact – my biggest bug bear. Always maintain eye contact throughout any meeting and don’t forget to smile.
- Positive mental attitude is an obvious one but essential.
- Remember we’re meeting you to shortlist the best candidates for our clients. A meeting with us doesn’t guarantee this, so make sure you sell yourself well and come across as enthusiastic, professional and confident. You want to be in that top 5.
- Don’t forget, if we’ve met you and built a good rapport, we’re better armed to sell you to our clients.
- Don’t be late and if you are going to be, make sure you call in advance.
- Turn your phone off.
We genuinely want to help, advise and build good relationships, so it’s so worth making that extra effort to meet us.